Tuesday, April 10, 2012

that wasnt so bad...so far lol

  forgive me as this post is old news now, ive been a little busy :)
march 30th, my due date, the good doctor told me we could have a baby.  i was 40 weeks, and she has a family practice and i think the weekend looked like a good option for us all.  we didnt rush to the hospital.  i know they starve ya there, so we ate at donatos, went to the mall,  went home, picked up the older kids from school, told them what was happening, packed their bags, took another shower, etc. i was an emotional mess during this whole thing.  i wanted the baby, but i wanted to stay pregnant.  it just seems so final, yet its just the beginning.  i was sad to leave my suddenly two year old baby behind. would she love me when i got home? i cried as i told them bye, i cried to the hospital.  youd think the crying would have lead to dehydration and labor! well after we left my parents house where the kids were staying i realized lillian didnt say goodbye.  i blew it off, saying shes like me, just rather avoid the situation than look like a baby haha.  later my mom texted me that she found poor lillian, not so strong, hiding under the table crying. she was worried i was going to hurt, or have a c-section.  no more baby shows for her! 
  things started pretty quick.  i was 3cm when i got to the hosptial.  those same 3 cm that got my hopes up 3 weeks prior that we'd have a baby before the end of the month.  i got my i.v and my ice chips and my gown.  lets do this.  they started the pitocin.  around 6 dr krendl came and broke my water.  contractions werent awful.  i seriously contemplated no epidural this time as the anxiety of that procedure took over.  the nurse encouraged me to make up my mind as this could go very quickly.  again, thinking back to my previous epidural that was horrible in so many ways, i finally reluctantly said ok.  the 7 foot tall anesthesiologist was giving me a hard time that he wasnt sure he could give it to me since i didnt act like i needed it.  then he said he would have hard time knowing if it worked if i wanst hurting in the first place.  im good at hiding pain from strangers.  :)  seemed like prep time for him was forever, then he said he was done.  best ever!!! i never even knew he had finsihed!  smooth sailing from here right?....
  i dialted to 5cm fairly quick.  then 2 hours later i was still 5cm.  uh oh.  each contraction got harder for the baby.  his heartrate dipped dangerously low (61 was the lowest i saw).  we had to do something.  posistion changes, on my side, other side, one leg up, on and on.  nothing worked.  our baby was stressing bad. they figured he was on the cord. so, more extreme measures were taken.  i had to assume the posistion of knees and elbows.  i had to wear oxygen. they refilled my uterus full of water to try to get the baby to float off his cord.  i couldnt turn my head. i felt so awkward, on display.  i kept leaning on my iv lines, setting off buzzers, etc.  awful awful awful.  i could only half feel my legs, my elbows hurt, you get the idea. just when i seriously thought i couldnt take it anymore they said i could turn over and see what happened.  i was so hoping for a 7 or 8cm.  the nurse says "shes compete!"  what!? what about 7 8 and 9?  we cant skip those!  lol. i was not prepared for that all at once.  seriously, a half hour to go from 5-10 in a half hour?  made me almost forget the ridiculousness of the posistion lol
everyone scurried around to get things ready.  i made john take some cell video of the actual pushing and birth.  i told him no crotch shot, instead it was push faces lol. the video is priceless now and i cry when i watch it. i had to do a "practice push" which like every birth produces the baby's hair.  4 total pushes and i had a wet slimy baby on my stomach.  he cried, even though his color was bad from all the stress.  he didnt need any special care though.  8 lbs 13 oz, 22 inches long.  he was just two ounces smaller than amity but felt twice as big.  coulda been the 15 inch head? 
my hosptial stay was routine.  people visited, nurses were pretty good.  i got 3 hot meals served to me. i sent atticus to the nursery at night and slept better than i had in a month.  he took to nursing right away.  i let him have formula at night in the nursery to fill him up as my milk wasnt in yet. he had one bottle of formula at home as well, but now we are full fledged nursing.
as he was punctual for his due date (just 38 minutes late), he has quite the internal clock.  my mom works 3rd shift and i text her when i get up to feed him.  i can say ok i will talk to you at 3.  by 320 im texting mom again lol.
as for the transisition from 4-5 kids...honestly i havent really felt it yet.  the van is kind of an issue as every one of my kids is in either a booster or a car seat, buckling is difficult as every spot is filled.  but, the kids are good helpers and mostly do their own thing.  amity may be a little emotional lately but she did just turn terrible..err i mean two.  and she has lost a little sleep since atticus wont let us sleep quite till 11 like we got used to.
im tossing around some ideas right now that may be major changes for me.  working 50 hours a week may not be in my future.  im running out of time to decide what i am going to do, but im 75% sure there will be  change around here.  still thinking....

No comments:

Post a Comment